Thursday, November 28, 2013

Hogswatch 2013 report - part 1

So you read the header and are itching with curiosity already, aren't you? 
Geez, hold your horses, pard! Because the Discworld convention's technically starting tomorrow
Thus for now, I'm just going to ramble about food, me and sweetie, food, and my first glorious day in England. But mostly FOOD.
Are you thrilled or what?

First of all I want to show you the place where we're staying - the Half Moon Inn in Horsington, a delightful little B&B with an appropriately quaint name. 


See? Very picturesque!
(OMG am I sounding like Twoflower already?)


The best thing about the place, though, is the pub! Of course, of course!


See what I mean? It's to die for!
 The fireplace! The dried hops wreaths! The comfy sofas!

And well, yes - the beer!


We ended up in this place simply because all the hotels in Wincanton were fully booked already, but I'm so happy about it! 
The rooms are clean and super comfy and the breakfast buffet, while somewhat on the frugal side in comparison with some other places we've stayed at, includes homemade orange marmalade, which is one of my favourite things in the world...


...as well as the traditional egg-and-sausages, if you're so inclined!


I didn't dare starting off my day like this, but sweetie did, and looked quite happy too!
Me, I fully mean to lose my English sausage virginity at the Hogswatch feast on Saturday - and gosh, this sounded way worse than I actually meant it to. 
Sorry for the mental picture, peeps! 

Well, since I grossed you all out just now, I'm going to show one more yukky pic...


Now this is actually not gross at all, as the bathroom was spotless like the rest of the room.
But, apart from the lack of a bidet - which I won't dwell upon, as it already is the butt of too many jokes among us debauched Continentals - I want you to notice how hot and cold water come from separate faucets (something I haven't seen in use for almost 3o years), and how the washbasin is placed at crotch height. Feel free to draw you conclusions - ewwwww!
(Once again, the brain bleach is on me...)

Right after breakfast we thought we could take our smart Italian arses to Wincanton and secure our picks from the Emporium before the con madness starts. 
Alas, the shop was closed! We could see the personnel inside, dusting shelves and getting stuff ready. I was so giddy with excitement that I didn't even curse that much, and was content with simply snapping pics of the outside for the time being. 


Apart from its geeky connection with everything Discworld, Wincanton is a lovely little rural town, so quintessentially English - like everything around here!


 It boasts many interesting buildings, like the old Town Hall...


...plus it comes with three pubs, a Chinese and an Indian take-away, an Italian-style cafeteria, a butcher...


...and a real British bakery OMG!


Of course I got my foodie shopping done right away (while I still have some money left, as you might be guessing...)

(Right, I'm buying booze. Sue me!)

Then we got ourselves some proper, honest-to-God fish & chips from The Bridge in Templecombe, which is famous around here for its fried fish fares. Yay allitteration!

(Sweetie actually did a thorough online search and compared feedbacks. No kidding!)


Somehow I had picked up the idea that it would be fish nuggets, so the huge battered fillet scared the heck out of me. But it really tasted wonderful, and in the end I cheerfully devoured it all!
(Sorry for the crappy pic btw - it was taken outside, late in the evening with my cheap camera's flash. That was because the fried oil smell was so powerful that hun squarely refused to go eat it in our room LOL)

And now, to bed we go. Tomorrow's when the fun starts for real!




No comments:

Post a Comment