...Well, I am Italian. What else were you expecting?
Hetalia: Axis Powers belongs to Hidekaz Himaruya and Gentosha
S. Italy's character song, Oishii Tomato no Uta/The Delicious Tomato Song, is sung by Namikawa Daisuke
Just trust me on this one, hmm?
* 2 cups pureed tomato (bottled sauce is fine as long as it's just tomato)
* 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup candied fruit, diced
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 6-7 whole cardamom pods
* a slosh of Alchermes (rum will do, too!)
3. Take the spices. Oooh pretty!
4. Throw them into the tomato-and-sugar mix. Let it all simmer for about half an hour, stirring occasionally. Don't let it to its own devices or it will burn! *
5. Once it has thickened to a proper jam-like consistency, remove it from heat. Fish the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods out of it.
Let it cool off, stirring from time to time so that the fruit is distributed evenly.
7. Can your tomato jam, or bake it into a pie (the doses I gave you yeld enough to fill a medium, 8 servings-worth pie). Or you might want to try it as cookie filling, or just eat it with a spoon.
I grant you, next time you'll want to make a double batch!
* = It will burn anyway, unless you sing the Oishii Tomato no Uta the whole time while making this. True story!